Sectors: Citizenship, Human Rights, Justice - Security, Local development, Social Affairs
Beneficiaries: Non-profit organisations
Category: Call for proposals
References:To view this information, please connect.
Additional info regions:
Amount:To view this information, please connect.
Responsible: European Commission
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
This call for proposals aims to improve the contribution of civil society organisations to continental decision- and policy making processes in Africa, in particular in the areas of Good Governance, Democracy, Human Rights, Peace and Security and Women’s rights.
Priorities and funded actions:
– To increase CSOs’ ability to contribute to a more effective implementation and monitoring of African continental legal instruments and to a stronger awareness of the people of their rights
– To support CSOs’ increased participation and contribution in African continental decision- and policy making and standard-setting
Lot 1- Support the operationalisation of the African Governance Architecture (AGA)
– Enhance monitoring and engagement by CSOs in democratic processes in areas related to the AGA, including human rights
– Strengthen CSOs’ capacity and coordination for a more effective engagement with the institutions member of the African Governance Platform (AGP) – Support the production of evidence-based reports to encourage informed dialogue on the performance of Member States in the implementation of continental commitments
– Increase the awareness of people on the AGA and on continental processes/commitments to enable them to more effectively demand greater accountability from AU institutions and governments and to foster their active engagement with the African Union
– Support CSO’s activities in relation to AUC related initiatives, such as the “Youth Engagement Strategy”.
Lot 2 – CSOs’ contribution to a strong and independent African Human Rights System
– Improve public awareness of rights enshrined in African Human Rights-related continental charters and protocols through a better dissemination of information
– Increase the participation and inclusion of civil society networks in African Human Rights organs’ decision- and policy making processes and facilitate CSOs’ engagement with these organs and with the relevant special mechanisms of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR)
– Reinforce and improve the advocacy and monitoring of the implementation of Human Rights continental legal instruments and of reporting obligations by Member States
– Increase awareness and ability of African people to file valid claims/communications with the African Human Rights organs, notably by supporting initiatives aiming at providing legal assistance to citizens for litigation towards the African Court
– Support CSOs’ activities in relation to existing AU human rights campaigns and support to new initiatives
Lot 3 – Support CSOs’ active participation in the implementation of the Peace & Security agenda in Africa
– Strengthen CSOs’ role in conducting activities in support of the peace and security agenda undertaken by the institutions, especially regarding synergies between APSA and AGA
– Strengthen policy dialogue between CSOs and African institutions on Peace and Security in Africa to ensure a greater contribution of civil society to formulation of relevant policies at regional and continental level
– Strengthen CSOs’ capacity for independent monitoring and evaluation of AU peace and security activities and of track record when it comes to implementation/domestication of continental and regional organs’ decisions on Peace and Security matters
– Strengthen CSOs’ contribution to enhance AU AGA-APSA institutional linkages in preventive diplomacy, conflict prevention, post-conflict reconstruction, early warning, mediation, transitional justice policy, etc.
– Strengthen coordination and collaboration between CSOs and Africa’s early warning systems
– Support awareness-raising initiatives on topics relevant to this lot
Lot 4 – CSOs’ contribution to the effective realization of women’s rights in Africa
– Enhance CSOs’ contribution to the monitoring, evaluation and advocacy to increase domestication and implementation of the provisions of the AU Protocol on the Rights of Women and the renewed Maputo Plan of Action
– Facilitate CSOs’ engagement with AU organs and institutions with a gender mandate (AUC-Women, Gender and Development Directorate, Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Women, Special Envoy for Women Peace and Security)
– Support advocacy activities undertaken by CSOs to disseminate continental-level gender-related legal norms to the public
– Provide CSOs with methodological support to develop adequate tools for mainstreaming gender
– Support CSOs’ activities in relation to AUC initiatives, notably in relation to sexual and gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health, specific initiatives
Among financed actions
– Sensitisation/awareness raising and communication strategies
– Research work
– Advocacy and monitoring
– Networking and capacity development