Sectors: Citizenship, Co-op & Development, Environment, Local development, Public Management, Social Affairs
Beneficiaries: Development NGOs, International Organisation, Local and Regional authorities, Non-profit organisations
Regions: Africa-Carribean-Pacific, European Union
Category: Call for proposals
References:To view this information, please connect.
Amount:To view this information, please connect.
Responsible: European Commission
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
EDF – Towards a participative, inclusive and sustainable management of the forest landscape complex of Outamba-Kilimi (Sierra Leone), Kuru Hills (Sierra Leone), and Pinselli-Soya (Guinea) – 2020
Funds for: enhancing climate resilience in Sierra Leone and Guinea
Priorities and funded actions:
* To protect in a sustainable, efficient, effective and legitimate way the Key Landscape for Conservation (KLC) composed of Outamba-Kilimi National Park (Sierra Leone), Kuru Hills Forest Reserve (Sierra Leone), Pinselli and Soyah Classified Forests (Guinea) and the buffer zones and forest corridors that inter-connect them (OKKPS)
* Component 1 : sustainable management of protected areas and their neighbouring forested territories – for the key landscape for conservation (KLC) of Outamba-Kilimi, Kuru Hills & Pinselli-Soya (OKKPS) ;
* Land use planning: integration of a socio-economic and environmental activities in forest districts surrounding the protected areas into a territorial management plan;
* Management of protected areas: development and operationalisation of efficient management plans and strategies of PAs, including their neighbouring human populations;
* Rural development around protected areas: surrounding populations are part of the management strategy of natural resources and can sustainably benefit from it;
* Taking into consideration the regional governance of Support to the Conservation of Forest Ecosystems in West Africa
* To collaborate with the Regional observatory of biodiversity and protected areas in West Africa, recently established by the BIOPAMA2 project;
* Promotion of economic development that respects the environment
Among financed actions
* Environmental, territorial and socio-economic (especially for gender equity) assessments, including shared GIS mapping between neighbouring countries;
* Land use plans through a participatory approach with regional authorities and local communities;
* Production, validation, and implementation of PA management plans;
* Implementation of PA delineation, inventories and censuses of natural resources (fauna and flora);
* Management platforms and committees inclusive of all stakeholders;
* Development of community-based initiatives of services (ecotourism) and natural resources valorisation, with particular attention to gender equity;
* Support to efficient application of laws in PAs and control of illegal activities such as illegal mining, logging, poaching, etc.;
* Development of innovative funding sources in liaison with existing programmes for small grants;
* Networking and exchange of good practices and experiences with other protected areas
* This call for proposals is a restricted call for proposals. In the first instance, only concept notes will be submitted
* Initial duration of the action: between 24 and 42 months
– Be a legal person;
– Be non-profit-making;
– Be either: a non-governmental organisation, public sector operator, local authority, international (inter-governmental) organisation;
– Be established in a Member State of the European Union or be in compliance with the rules on nationality and origin as defined in Article 20 of Annex IV to the ACP-EU Partnership Agreement;
* Actions must take place in Sierra Leone and Guinea. Actions targeting field activities in only one country will therefore be rejected.