Sectors: Health, New technologies, Research
Beneficiaries: Corporations, Research centres, SMEs, Universities
Regions: European Economic Area, European Union, Northern America, Switzerland
Category: Call for proposals
References:To view this information, please connect.
Additional info regions:
European Union: Finland, France, UK, Germany, Denmark, Portugal, Latvia, Spain, Slovenia
European Economic Area: Norway
Northern America: USA
Responsible: ERASynBio Call Office
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
This call for proposals aims to deepen and enlarge collaborations in the synthetic biology community and to enact the recommendations of the newly published ERASynBio Strategic Vision.
Priorities and funded actions:
– To address the needs identified in the ERASynBio Strategic Vision
– To encourage bottom-up creativity and innovation in the filed of Synthetic biology
Projects may address one or more of the following scientific fields (non exhaustive list):
– Metabolic engineering: attaining new levels of complexity in modification of biosynthetic pathways for sustainable chemistry
– Regulatory circuits: inserting well-characterised, modular, artificial networks to provide new functions in cells and organisms
– Orthogonal biosystems: engineering cells to expand the genetic code, develop new information storage and processing capacity (xeno nucleic acids), and enable bio-orthoganal protein engineering
– Bionanoscience: developing molecular-scale motors and other components for cell-based machines or cell-free devices to perform complex new tasks
– Minimal genomes: identifying the smallest number of parts needed for life as a basis for engineering minimal cell factories for new functions
– Protocells: using programmable chemical design to produce (semi-)synthetic cells
Proposals must incorporate one of the following strategic elements:
– Strategic element 2: Responsible research
– Strategic element 3: Community building
– Strategic element 4: Training and education
– Strategic element 5: Data and technologies
Among financed actions:
– Basic research or more applied research activities in chemical biology, biophysics, biotechnology or biomedicine
– For Strategic element 2: organisation of responsible research and innovation events, collaboration with social and ethical scientists, dialogue and mutual learning exercises
– For Strategic element 3: organisation of multidisciplinary or multinational workshops, retreats or conferences
– For Strategic element 4: summer schools, student exchanges, exchange visits and scientific workshops, interdisciplinary courses, or open educational material
– For strategic element 5: data-sharing platforms, open software tools, standard development, adaptations/development of data sharing policies and registries