Sectors: Innovation, New technologies, Research, Telecommunications
Beneficiaries: Non-profit organisations, Research centres, SMEs, Training centres, Universities
Regions: Developing countries, European Economic Area, European Union
Category: Call for proposals
References:To view this information, please connect.
Additional info regions:
EU Member States and Associated countries
Responsible: European Commission
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
The Horizon Prize for breaking the optical transmission barriers is a €500 000 challenge prize. It will be awarded to a solution that maximises the fibre capacity.
Priorities and funded actions:
– To overcome the current limitations of long-distance, optical transmission systems
– To meet the bandwidth demand explosion
– To provide the resources for future applications
– To address the aspects of energy efficiency and economic viability of such optical breakthrough system
– To stimulate creative thinking across established SMEs, industrial and academic research organisations
– This prize will lead to a significant amount of research and potentially significant breakthroughs in the field of optical transmission
– It will help foster European leadership in optical transmission
– The research produced will assist in supporting networks that deliver the insatiable demand for bandwidth, and in providing the resources for future applications