Sectors: Co-op & Development, Local development, Public Management, Social Affairs
Regions: Africa-Carribean-Pacific, European Economic Area, Middle East
Category: Call for proposals
References:To view this information, please connect.
Additional info regions:
Algeria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey West Bank and Gaza Strip, Yemen.
Amount:To view this information, please connect.
Responsible: European Commission
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
ICPC – Innovative media for peace, social cohesion and reconciliation in Turkey, the Middle-East and North Africa – 2021
Funds for: promoting peace in the digital space and enhance resilience of conflict-affected and fragile societies to media harmful content in Algeria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, West Bank and Gaza Strip and Yemen
Priorities and funded actions:
*To use the potential of ICT (digital media, digital applications, mobile phones, data, etc.) to positively change the dynamic of conflict/crisis resolution and support peacebuilding initiatives;
*To raise awareness about and fight disinformation/information influence and strengthen media literacy for key users (youth, influencers, journalists, citizens, etc.
Priority 1: Promoting free open source software, digital tools and platforms to monitor, counter the spread and mitigate the impact of hate speech, rumours and disinformation.
Priority 2: Promoting creative media content as a tool for outreach to reinforce shared identities, support social cohesion, mediation and post-conflict reconciliation efforts.
Priority 3: Promoting informative and educational programme contributing to increase knowledge of complex issues and help the audience critically think about it.
Priority 4: Supporting the implementation of digital mediation and diplomacy initiatives in conflict-affected areas.
Priority 5: Contribute to empower and strengthen the voice of marginalised groups through the use of media and ICT.
Priority 6: Foster innovation and policy development between ICT, peace and security.
Among financed actions
– Using the potential of ICT to collect, process and analyse data that support conflict analysis and early warning process to inform decision-making or peace-building initiatives aimed at ending violent conflict;
– Monitoring of social media to detect disinformation/information influence, fake news campaigns, etc;
– Promoting and/or incentivising the publication of media and social media contents tackling violence and disinformation and/or promoting positive messages;
– Using applications or online games to promote positive messaging, tackle hate speech, violence incitement, disinformation and other harmful content being spread online;
– Using the potential of ICT to launch initiatives such as crisis mapping, podcasts, peace gaming, crowdsourcing platforms;
– Strengthening conflict-sensitive investigative and reporting skills of journalists and editorial teams to promote more balanced coverage of conflict related events and stories;
– Using podcasts and virtual space to document the reality of a crisis, discuss complex issues and encourage constructive debate;
* This call of proposals is an open call of proposals
*Initial duration of the action: 24 months
– Be a legal person and
– Be a non-governmental organisation, local authority, independent foundation, public sector operator, civil society actor as defined by Article 1.3 of the IcSP Regulation No 230/2014 and constituted in accordance with the legislation in force in the applicant’s country of registration and
– Be established in a Member State of the European Union, Algeria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, West Bank and Gaza Strip, Yemen or any other eligible country or territory as indicated in regulation n°236/2014 laying down common rules and procedures for the implementation of the Union’s instruments for financing external action , and
– Be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the action with the co-applicant(s) and affiliated entity(ies), not acting as an intermediary.
* The following are however also eligible:
Print/online/TV or radio media/news agencies, media production companies, professional media associates, ICT private group/start-up/ tech companies.