Sectors: Agriculture - Fisheries, Co-op & Development, Environment, Local development, Research
Beneficiaries: Research centres
Regions: European Union, Mediterranean countries
Category: Call for proposals
Additional info regions:
* The PRIMA participating states : Croatia, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Slovenia. It includes the Overseas Countries and Territories (OCT) linked to these Member States;
* The following Third Countries associated to Horizon 2020 (AC): Israel, Tunisia, and Turkey;
* The following Third Countries not associated to Horizon 2020 (TC), having concluded international agreements for scientific and technological cooperation setting out the terms and conditions of their participation in PRIMA: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Morocco
Amount:To view this information, please connect.
Responsible: European Commission
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
JPI PRIMA – Farming Systems – 2020
Funds for: increasing the knowledge of animal genetic resources for food and agriculture
Priorities and funded actions:
* Better knowledge of epigenetic and genetic processes leading to the adaptation of breeds to the changing Mediterranean environmental conditions;
* Ensuring the genetic conservation of local best adapted breeds and valorising them;
* Proposing to the farmers new options of breeds adapted to the local conditions (matching genetic and epigenetic with environment);
* Increasing small farmers’ incomes via the rearing of local breeds and the sale of products (raw or transformed) with high added value
* Deciphering the links between epigenetic, genomic and the phenotypic adaptive traits to increase the reliability of genomic breeding with the goal of increasing their resilience under a climate change context;
* Taking advantage of existing databases, past EC projects outputs, and existing national breeding programs to avoid duplications;
* Characterizing and valorizing the final products of local breeds promoting the use of these breeds which can generate high quality products for the consumers (meat, milk….) and with high added value for the farmers (labels, genetic certification, new products…);
* Establishment of networks or platforms around the Mediterranean basin for genetic conservation and the promotion of adapted breeds bringing economic benefits to the farmers through capacity building and dissemination of good practices;
* Decision-making tools for the end users to select the most appropriate breeds according to the specificities of the production environment (agro-pastoralism, extensive or intensive production systems, mix crop livestock systems, …)
Among financed actions
* Mapping, genetic characterization and monitoring of local breeds, well adapted to the Mediterranean environment, tolerant to heat stress and diseases resistant
* This call for proposals is a restricted call for proposals. In the first instance, only concept notes will be evaluated
* Initial duration of the action: between 36 and 48 months
– Include at least three legal entities established in three different countries considered as Participating States, out of which:
> At least one must be established in a EU Member State or a third country associated to Horizon 2020 and not being a MPC
> At least one must be established in a third country bordering the Mediterranean Sea (MPC)
* The actio must take place in an eligible country