Sectors: Local development
Beneficiaries: Development NGOs, Federations Unions, Non-profit organisations, Research centres, Training centres, Universities
Regions: Asia, European Union
Category: Call for proposals
References:To view this information, please connect.
Additional info regions:
Asia: Sri Lanka
Amount:To view this information, please connect.
Responsible: European Commission
Useful:To view this information, please connect.
Contact:To view this information, please connect.
Advice:To view this information, please connect.
This call of proposal aims to strengthen Non State Actors and Local Authorities in Sri Lanka which would then provide a foundation for a more equitable, open and democratic society through support to their “own initiatives”, as well as strengthen their capacity to deliver services to the citizen.
Priorities and funded actions:
– To enhance the capacity of civil society to actively engage in improving the processes related to good governance and public services
– To strengthen the capacity of and creating a participatory environment for civil society groups in Sri Lanka, with a view to increasing their participation in defining sustainable development strategies and in implementing actions aiming at poverty reduction
Geographic Priorities of this Call for Proposa
– Lot 1: Northern and Eastern Provinces i.e. Jaffna, Mannar, Vavuniya, Mallaithivu, Killinochchi, Batticaloa, Ampara, Trincomalee and border districts (764 000 euro)
– Lot 2: Central and Uva Provinces i.e. Kandy, Matale, Nuwara Eliya, Badhulla and Moneragala districts (400 000 euro)
– Initiatives aimed at strengthening the local civil society actors’ ability to participate in decision making processes and promoting good governance and increasing institutional capacity building
– Initiatives focused on enhancing inter and intra community interaction so as to promote peace building, reconciliation, ethnic and religious harmony for sustainable development. Further empowering communities to promote economic and social justice through access to market, land and livelihood etc
– Initiatives directed towards providing support for the personal and/or professional development of
young people, women and disadvantaged groups (e.g. people with disabilities and marginalized communities with specific focus on vulnerable women, children and the elderly) with the key aim of income generation
– Initiatives concentrated on supporting activities in the field of preventing Gender Based Violence (GBV), promoting child protection and empowering organizations aimed at improving the situation of women and children. In addition, promoting participation of women in the labour force, politics and improving their access to credit/financial services
– Initiatives aimed at increasing the operational and technical capacity of local organizations, in the organization’s field of work i.e. health, child protection, education, livelihood production, environmental protection, water and sanitation, or others; with particular reference to GBV: initiatives aimed at preventing GBV, targeting both genders and providing opportunities for GBV survivors
– Initiatives that focus on enabling plantation communities and rural village communities to further their socio-economic development and promote closer engagement with government and other service providers
– Initiatives that strengthen the capabilities of NSAs and LAs to respond to the needs of rural and marginalized communities in the province
– Initiatives that support LAs in developing integrated local plans, that are more responsive to the needs of rural and plantation communities (e.g. community consultation mechanisms, participatory planning, budgeting, accountability mechanisms, strengthen grievance address mechanisms at local level, improve local governance, support implementation of language policy etc.)
Among financed actions
Financial support must be aimed at supporting projects, ie coherent and self-contained sets of activities designed to achieve specific objectives. The projects are expected to demonstrate clear target groups, tangible outcomes with relevant indicators and be implemented within a limited timeframe