25 August 2021
Grants from the Digital Agenda of the European Interconnection Facility support projects of common interest for the deployment of digital networks.
Priorities and funded actions
The Digital Agenda of the European Interconnection Facility contributes to the development of projects of common interest related to the deployment of safe, secure, sustainable and very high capacity digital networks, including 5G systems, the increase of the capacity and resilience of digital backbone networks in all EU territories, in particular in the outermost regions, and the digitalisation of transport and energy networks
- To contribute to the development of projects of common interest relating to the deployment of and access to very high capacity networks addressing safety and security requirements, including 5G systems, and to the enhancement of the resilience and capabilities of digital backbone networks in EU territories by connecting them to neighbouring territories, as well as to the digitalisation of transport and energy networks.
- Leverage private investment in areas of market failure;
- Cross-fertilisation of investments and complementarity of funding programmes;
- Ensure that no one is left behind by the digital transformation;
- Building pan-European and cross-border infrastructure;
- Bringing an international dimension to connectivity;
- Enabling access to shared digital capabilities;
- Contributing to innovation and competitiveness in the EU’s digital ecosystem;
- Strengthening cybersecurity and resilience;
- Contribute to the European Green Deal.
- 5G coverage along transport corridors;
- 5G for smart communities;
- Quantum communication infrastructure (EuroQCI initiative);
- Deploying cross-border and national cloud-to-edge infrastructure interconnections, both physical and functional;
- Backbone networks for pan-European cloud computing federations;
- Connected networks for digital global gateways;
- Terabit connectivity for high performance computing.
M. Roberto VIOLA
DIrectorate-General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology