4 August 2016
Subventions for promoting democratic consolidation in Nigeria focusing on six thematic areas of support: i) the Electoral Management Body (EMB); ii) the National Assembly iii) the Political Parties; iv) Media, v) Participation of Women, Youth and Marginalized Citizens; vi) Civil Society Organisations and other Non-State Actors. This call for proposals aims to enable CSOs and other non-state actors, to continue to proactively participate in the enhancement of the electoral process.
Priorities and funded actions
The ‘EU Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria (EU-SDGN) Phase II’, following the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) Support Programme to Democratic Governance, aims to promote democratic consolidation in Nigeria by contributing to the building of strong, inclusive, effective and legitimate democratic institutions.
- To foster a functioning pluralistic, inclusive, participatory and representative democracy in Federal Republic of Nigeria;
- To engender the conditions for inclusive, transparent, credible and peaceful elections and a more inclusive decision-making process with the meaningful participation of all sectors of society, including women, youth and other marginalised groups.
- To empower civil society organisations and relevant agencies to demand greater transparency and accountability in the electoral and decision making process, and promote greater citizens’ participation.
- Support to electoral activities relating to INEC/SIECs and other relevant government stakeholders;
- Sensitization in any way to enhance the participation of youth, women and other vulnerable groups (e.g. voters with disabilities, internally displaced persons) in the electoral process;
- Actions that will support the inclusive, transparent and effective functioning of political parties;
- Voter education, electoral monitoring and observation activities;
- Revision and establishment of internal democracy and public order responsibilities by political parties;
- Promotion of initiatives for peaceful and non-violent electoral process;
- Enhancement of inclusive and non-partisan domestic monitoring and observation along the electoral cycle;
- Improvement of advocacy for inclusivity of women, youths and other vulnerable groups in the political process;
- Promotion of civic and voter education;
- Support to reform at the state Houses of Assembly and state judiciary in compliance with democratic principles and standards.
Mr. H. FASSI-FIHRI
EU DELEGATION NIGERIA