Home > Human Rights
The assistance provided under this instrument's objectives include:
- The strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, the strengthening and promotion of democracy and democratic reform in third countries, support for defenders of human rights and victims of repression of abuse, strengthening of civil society working in the field of promoting human rights and democracy;
- Supporting and strengthening the international and regional framework that works in this area;
- Promoting confidence in the electoral process, increasing their reliability, in particular through election observation missions and support to civil society organizations involved in local processes.
The financial framework for its implementation during the period 2014-2020 is 1.104 billion euros.
European funding programmes available in the area of human rights:
Democracy and human rights are funded through the geographic programs and thematic instruments:
- The European Development Fund (EDF) in the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP);
- The Cooperation Instrument (DCI) in Latin America, Asia and South Africa;
- The European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI) in the neighboring regions of the European Union.
- European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR) which works with and through civil society organizations in countries where there is no direct cooperation with the government, but also through other thematic instruments.