Grants for projects which aims to provide assistance to the development and consolidation of democracy and the rule of law and of respect for all human rights and fundamental freedoms.
Direct support to Human Rights Defenders through small grants, when quick intervention through small and targeted actions is needed, the European Commission manages a small facility to provide ad-hoc grants to be awarded to human rights defenders in need of urgent support either by headquarters or by EU Delegations.
* To support, to develop and to consolidate democracy in third countries
* To enhance participatory and representative democracy, strengthening the overall democratic cycle, in particular by reinforcing an active role for civil society within this cycle, and the rule of law
* To improve the reliability of electoral processes, in particular by means of EU Electoral Observation
Among financed actions
* Enhancing respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms, as proclaimed in the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international and regional human rights instruments
* Strengthening their protection, promotion, implementation and monitoring, mainly through support to relevant civil society organisations, human rights defenders and victims of repression and abuse
Up to 10 000 euro.
Beneficiaries: Administrations States, Development NGOs, Local and Regional authorities, Non-profit organisations, Research centres, Schools, Universities
Sectors: Citizenship, Co-op & Development, Human Rights, Humanitarian, Justice - Security, Local development
Regions: European Union, Worldwide
Free access: Yes
Title: Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a financing instrument for the promotion of democracy and human rights worldwide
Name: DABERTRAND F.
Phone number: +32 229-90625
Organisation: European Commission
Department: DG International cooperation and Development