The EU adopts rules to help fishermenApril 22, 2020
Hat: The EU adopts rules to help fishermen
Funding Scheme: 2020-04-22
After its adoption in the European Parliament, it is now the turn of the Council to adopt the new rules designed to support the fisheries and aquaculture sectors in the face of the consequences of the VIDOC-19 epidemic. As a result, the regulations on the European maritime and fisheries fund (EMFF) and the Common Market Organisation (CMO) will be amended.
The new act introduces the following specific measures:
- Support in relation to the temporary cessation of fishing activities with a maximum co-financing rate of 75 % of eligible public expenditure;
- Support in relation to the temporary suspension or reduction of aquaculture production and sales
- Inclusion of fishermen on foot as eligible for support in case of temporary cessationderogation for temporary cessation for new vessels;
- Flexibility in order to use 10% of the budgetary funds allocated to Union Priority 3;
- Granting working capital and compensating the reduction of sales and additional storage costs for aquaculture farmers and processors;
- Provisions for Outermost regions adapted to deal with the consequences of the crisis
In relation to storage, the new rules also provide for support to producer organisations and associations of producer organisations for the storage of fishery and aquaculture products.
Url description: consilium.europa.eu