The European Commission announced the winners of the European Web Entrepreneur of the year awardsApril 26, 2013
Funding Scheme: 2013-04-26
The European Commission announced the name of the winners of the European Web Entrepreneur of the year awards. Alexander Ljung & Eric Wahlforss of SoundCloud are European Entrepreneurs of the Year and Jon Reynolds of SwiftKey is Young European Entrepreneur of the Year (an award addressed at under 35 year-olds). They will benefit from a visibility on a regional, national but also global scale.
The European commission supports this prize in the framework of its Startup European strategy. It is a part of the Commission’s plan to promote local entrepreneurship ecosystems in Europe and to contribute to the development of start-ups in Europe but also to the fact that the start-ups stay in Europe.
908 nominations were received for the 2013 edition of the European Entrepreneur of the year award. The winners were selected by jury composed by members from Europe’s tech and startup community.
About the winners
SoundCloud is a Berlin and London-based audio platform with around 40 million users. The goal of SoundCloud is to democratise music online – for it to be more than just a listening experience. SoundCloud enables anybody to upload, record, promote and share their music, soundbites and podcasts online– users have described SoundCloud as being like “email for music” or “YouTube for audio”. Users can have a free basic account or pay a monthly fee for premium services. It was founded in 2008 by Alexander Ljung (@alexanderljung), who was born in the UK but grew up in Sweden, and Eric Wahlforss (@ericw) who is Swedish and also a musical artist. Alexander is CEO and Eric directs product development and overall company strategy
Jon Reynolds (27) of SwiftKey (@SwiftKey) founded the company in 2008 with fellow graduate Ben Medlock. SwiftKey is an app which makes typing much easier on touchscreen devices. By understanding how words work together SwiftKey predicts the current and next word in a sentence, saving users the effort of typing each letter. In developing this next generation of predictive text software, SwiftKey has built up a team of more than 100 staff in Southwark, central London, with offices in San Francisco, New York, Beijing and Seoul.
Web entrepreneurs worldwide have an enormous impact on the economy and society. Collectively, start-up companies create three million jobs in the US during their first year of business, a level of dynamism the European Commission would like to see matched in the EU.
The other finalists in the Europioneer Awards were:
– European Tech Entrepreneur of the Year
– Sebastian Siemiatkowski, Victor Jacobsson, Niklas Adalberth of Klarna
– Mikael Hed, Niklas Hed of Rovio
– Michael Acton Smith of Mind Candy
– Jens Begemann of Wooga
Young European Tech Entrepreneur of the Year (30 and under)
– Daniel Ek of Spotify
– Hiroki Takeuchi, Matt Robinson of GoCardless
– Christian Reber of Wunderkinder
– Daniel Marhely of Deezer
The Europioneer judges are: Charles Arthur (Guardian), Mike Butcher (TechCrunch Europe), Saul Klein (Index Ventures/Seedcamp), Olivia Solon(Wired), Antti Vilpponen (Arctic Startup/Upcloud) and Werner Vogels (CTO Amazon).
More information about Startup Europe
– StartupEurope Leaders Club (IP/13/262) a platform for star entrepreneurs to tell their stories of inspirations and frustration, to wake-up young Europeans and leaders to the potential of entrepreneurial careers.
– The Startup Europe Partnership, to unlock expertise, mentoring, technology and services
– EU Accelerators Forum to increase awareness of the existing accelerator programs
– EU Crowdfunding Networks, to link up existing crowd-funding platforms, especially those specialised in Web start-ups
– Making Venture Capitalists more aware of Web Business by sharing success stories and through networking activities
Other European entrepreneur competitions
Tech All Stars – is a Commission-sponsored competition to find and take on tour 12 European startups. The 12 winners will network with influencers and connect with venture capitalists, mentors and potential partners. The winner will be announced at the 2013 Digital Agenda Assembly in Dublin on June 19th.
Url description: European Commission Press