Which results for the Lithuanian Presidency?August 5, 2013
Funding Scheme: 2013-08-02
Lithuania leads the Presidency of the European Union since 1 July 2013. Let’s go back on this first month of work…
Since its arrival to the presidency of the European Union, Lithuania has led two councils in Brussels, thus contributing to progresses on several issues:
– The Economic and Financial Affairs Council (ECOFIN): the legal acts necessary for the accession of Latvia to the euro zone were adopter during this council as well as the first tranche of the EU 2013 amending budget, amounting to EUR 7.3 billion
– The Agriculture and Fisheries Council, which allowed the Presidency to conclude agreements on the future European Fund for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Fund (EMFF). Tripartite meetings between the Presidency, the European Parliament and the Commission will be held in September to adopt the legal basis for this funding programme.
In addition, an agreement on the 2014 budget has been reached with the Committee of Permanent Representatives (COREPER II). And a series of agreements were concluded with the Committee of Permanent Representatives (COREPER I) on the future funding programmes legal basis, namely:
– Horizon 2020, the future programme for research and innovation
– Creative Europe, the new programme supporting cultural activities
– The LIFE Programme for the Environment
– The European Programme for Social Change and Innovation (EaSI)
– The programme “Customs 2020“
– The Connecting Europe Facility aiming at strengthening European infrastructure networks in the fields of energy, transport and telecommunications.