In 2008, the European Commission created the REGIOSTARS awards for EU-funded projects in Europe that celebrate excellence and new approaches to regional development. Every year, awards are given in five categories, plus the public prize.
This year’s winners are :
– For “Industrial transition for a smart Europe” (1st category) the award went to ‘ESA BIC Portugal – Promoting the space economy and the European Space Agency incubation program’, which promotes space technologies on innovative solutions to non-space markets, a pioneer in Europe generating more than €11,5 million in investments and 100 highly skilled jobs in 30 innovative start-ups.
– For “Circular economy for a green Europe” (2nd category) the winner was ‘TAKE THE COOL FOOD CHALLENGE – Take a bite out of climate change by making small changes to your diet’ for its contribution to reducing carbon emissions by encouraging people to follow a healthy diet.
– The award for “Skills & education for a digital Europe” (3rd category) went to ‘E-SCHOOLS, PILOT PROJECT – Establishing a System for Developing Digitally Mature Schools’ which has helped 10% of Croatian schools and around 50,000 teachers and 500,000 students to switch to a new level of education.
– The award “Citizen engagement for cohesive European cities” (4th category) has been granted to ‘SHICC – Sustainable Housing for Inclusive and Cohesive Cities’ to support democratic organizations that develop and manage homes affordable to people with low and median incomes.
– The specific 2020 category “Youth empowerment for cooperation across border – 30 years of Interreg” award has been given to ‘ENERGY@SCHOOL: Energy optimization and behavior change into schools of Central Europe’ for developing a scheme to train school students to become responsible for monitoring their school energy consumption.
– Finally, the public has chosen ‘Time is now for change’ for its impact on youth empowerment cooperation across borders.