On the 29th of September, the European Commission launched five missions, an innovative tool aiming to increase cooperation and to improve the lives of people in Europe and beyond.
Horizon Europe brings together several Commission services under the authority of nine College members to deliver on Europe’s main priorities and find responses to some of the greatest challenges we are facing today: adaptation to climate change, fighting cancer, protection of oceans and waters, greener cities and healthy soils. Five missions will aim at delivering solutions to these issues by 2030:
- Supporting at least 150 European regions and communities to become climate resilient;
- Working with Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan to improve the lives of more than 3 million people by 2030 through prevention, cure and solutions to live longer and better;
- Restoring our oceans and waters;
- Turning 100 cities into being climate-neutral and smart;
- Leading the transition towards healthy soils by 100 living labs and lighthouses.
These missions are part of a new European collaborative approach to tackle global challenges.