The four years projects NetZeroCities, for climate-neutral and smart cities, funded by the Horizon Europe Framework Programme and coordinated by EIT Climate-KIC, is starting in October 2021. It aims at supporting European cities in radically cutting down greenhouse gas emissions in order to achieve climate neutrality.
In response to the current climate emergency and objectives set out by the Paris Agreement, the European Union has commited to lead on climate action and cut its emissions by 55% by 2030, with the objective of reaching climate neutrality by 2050.
One of EU’s missions in that context is the “100 Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities by 2030”, that sets the following prioritiy actions:
- Development of a service-oriented platform supported by world-class practitioners;
- Co-creation of solutions needed to achieve net-zero goals in a socially-inclusive way;
- Capacity building on systemic change, citizen engagement and democratic governance, capital and financial structuring, and social innovation;
- Development and promotion of new and existing tools, resources, and expertise into a one-stop shop platform that will be accessible to all cities through an online portal;
- Support of up to 30 pilot cities to help drive rapid learning about how to achieve climate neutrality at the city scale.